Download PDFOpen PDF in browser

Analysis of Mix Design of Concrete Using Ceramic Waste and Rice Husk Ash

7 pagesPublished: July 22, 2017

Abstract

This paper presents an experimental study on the properties of concrete containing ceramic wastes and rice husk ash. The ceramic industry inevitably generates wastes, irrespective of the improvements introduced in manufacturing processes, in the ceramic industry, about 15% -30% production goes as waste. In India during the milling of paddy about 78 % of weight is received as rice, broken rice and bran, the rest 22 % of the weight of paddy is received as husk, the 25 % of the weight of this husk is converted into ash during the firing process, which is known as rice husk ash (RHA). These wastes causes problem in present day society, requiring a suitable form of management in order to achieve sustainable development. In this research study the (OPC) cement has been replaced by ceramic waste powder & RHA accordingly in the range of 0%, 5%, 7.5%, 10% & 0%, 5%, 10%, 12% respectively. Ceramic aggregate has been replaced by ceramic waste aggregate accordingly in the range of 0%, 5%, 10%, 15%, 20% by weight for M-25 grade concrete. Compressive Strength test was carried out on hardened concrete cubes after 7 and 28 days curing in water. Results show that concrete with partial cement and aggregate replacement by ceramic powder, RHA and ceramic aggregate has although minor strength loss but possesses increase in its durability performance. In current paper the analysis of various properties of ceramic aggregates, ceramic powder and RHA is carried out to validate adoptability of the same as normal aggregates and fine powder(cement) respectively. In both cases, sustainable efforts were made to reduce the quantity of material used in concrete. Reuse of this kind of waste has advantages in aspect of economic and environmental, reduction in the number of natural spaces employed as refuse dumps. Indirectly, all the above contributes to a better quality of life for citizens and to introduce the concept of sustainability in the construction sector.

Keyphrases: ceramic waste, compressive strength, Ecofriendly, industrial waste, low cost, OPC cement, Sustainable

In: C. D. Modhera, G. J. Joshi, D.P Soni, Indrajit N. Patel, A. K. Verma, L. B. Zala, S. D. Dhiman, D. R. Bhatt, Jagdish M. Rathod, Bhargav C. Goradiya, Mehfuza S. Holia and Dharita K. Patel (editors). ICRISET2017. International Conference on Research and Innovations in Science, Engineering and Technology. Selected Papers in Civil Engineering, vol 1, pages 381--387

Links:
BibTeX entry
@inproceedings{ICRISET2017:Analysis_of_Mix_Design,
  author    = {M Faizan Dhrolwala and Kaushik Kanani and Divyesh Patel and Dharti Soni},
  title     = {Analysis of Mix Design of Concrete Using Ceramic Waste and  Rice Husk Ash},
  booktitle = {ICRISET2017. International Conference on Research and Innovations in  Science, Engineering and Technology. Selected Papers in Civil Engineering},
  editor    = {C. D. Modhera and G. J. Joshi and D.P Soni and Indrajit N. Patel and A. K. Verma and L. B. Zala and S. D. Dhiman and D. R. Bhatt and Jagdish M. Rathod and Bhargav C. Goradiya and Mehfuza S. Holia and Dharita K. Patel},
  series    = {Kalpa Publications in Civil Engineering},
  volume    = {1},
  pages     = {381--387},
  year      = {2017},
  publisher = {EasyChair},
  bibsource = {EasyChair, http://www.easychair.org},
  issn      = {2515-1789},
  url       = {https://easychair.org/publications/paper/PNf},
  doi       = {10.29007/724m}}
Download PDFOpen PDF in browser